Monday, March 26, 2007

3rd Degree

Shanon Wheeler's blog

This blog makes me feel: self-reflective.

Something about Shanon Wheeler reminds me of... me. I mean, here is a guy who is hailed as a great cartoonist by many people. People genuinely like his "Too Much Coffee Man" cartoons. Apparently he's good.

Not that I would know. I perused his blog for a good long time, and I think I read about one cartoon. I was much more fascinated about how bad Valentine's day sucked for him.

I could probably go on a rant about how this is the result of the dumbing down of entertainment... how I am the product of the "Reality TV Generation" and that I can't appreciate true entertainment. And I wouldn't want to do that because, when ranting, one generally wants to include themselves on the "back when things were good" side of the rant, rather then make bold statements like, "I am the problem!"

Instead, I'll veer towards the fact that I can relate to Shanon more on a personal level then on a cartoonistic level. For one, I can't draw a stick figure that doesn't look like it rides a short bus, so art is often times lost on me. But I can appreciate a guy who gets bummed when a Hallmark Holiday comes around that seems to exist solely to remind us that all of our friends are eating fondue and getting laid later. My advice to Shanon: drink it off. The agony of a wicked hangover wears off quicker then the memories of hugging that teddy bear you won at the fair and crying softly while listening to "Air Supply".

Completely shifting gears, I am slowly becoming a connoisseur of blogs. Well, if blogs are like wine, I can now tell the difference between a chardonnay and a merlot. From a blogisseuer's perspective, I like those handy histories that a lot of blogs have. That way, you can read a blog from it's onset. Shanon's blog has the "previous" post button, so it's like watching this weeks episode of "Heroes" and working backwards. Extremely disconcerting.

Finally, I would like to apologize for the irregular postings of this blog... I figured out that it helps to have internet access outside of work! Just one of those obvious statements that makes me realize I'm not nearly as clever as I think.

From Shannon's blog, I am taking a leap of faith and venturing to benomatic's blog. This is all I know about benomatic:

A. It sounds like his name might be Ben.

B. According to Shannon: "thanks again to benomatic for baby-walking me through this thing and tell him to update his journal."

I feel the need to tell benomatic to update his journal.

Shanon's blog in one quote: "I'm about to open a second bottle of wine and sing karaoke...."